NH's FIRST COLLAB!

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NH's FIRST COLLAB!

Post by BluMess on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Hey all
Welcome to Nocturnal Haunt!

You might have noticed it's a little quiet.
Well, to get things started, me and Autotank would like to start a collab where ALL THE DEVELOPERS are involved!
Only make artwork? No problem! We can use it somewhere in the flash

Here's the thing:
We can't think of a theme.

So, got any ideas?

We really want this to happen Very Happy
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-02-29

View user profile http://www.blumess.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NH's FIRST COLLAB!

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:59 pm

I want to do a song collab on the single: Frontline by Pillar. It got rejected though :S.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-10-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:00 pm

what platform were you thinking of developing on/with? I'd vote AS3 with FlashDevelop (because I really don't want to do anything else Wink ). I could contribute an svn instance for code versioning.

theme... type of game or actually a theme? type of game--I'd say platformer with box2d physics.

theme... "nocturnal haunt" is pretty good. Wink ghost story or haunted house or something like that.

Last edited by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaolin
Enthusiast

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-12-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Well, Chris has AS2 so we'd be pretty stuck in that, but I use AS3 too.

Collabs are normally movies, not games, but making a game would be awesome.

For type of game, RPG is and will always be my game of choice, so I would go with that Smile. Platformers never seem to create something special, whereas even with bad art and animation, an RPG can be good. Plus, we will have good art, good animation, good coding. So it would be awesome ^_^. Plus there so much more interesting to play.

Theme, me and Chris thought up the name of Nocturnal Haunt. To me, nocturnal haunt is this:

Nocturnal because of at night, and haunt, not in the respect of ghosts and horror, but as stalking. A man, hung in the shadows, watching his targets movements. That is how I see Nocturnal Haunt.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:14 pm

AutoTank wrote:Well, Chris has AS2 so we'd be pretty stuck in that, but I use AS3 too.

Ermpf. I'd have to bow out, really. How hard would it be to twist Chris' arm up to AS3?

AutoTank wrote:For type of game, RPG is and will always be my game of choice, so I would go with that :). Platformers never seem to create something special, whereas even with bad art and animation, an RPG can be good. Plus, we will have good art, good animation, good coding. So it would be awesome ^_^. Plus there so much more interesting to play.

My thought with a platformer is it's easier to start out small and then expand with new levels.

I'd worry with an RPG--I've been part of a number of collaborations that fell through due to complexity. Anything that's more than a month of work seems to lose momentum. ((then, I've never actually been part of a collaboration that _didn't_ fall through)). I do know my own projects need to be bite-sized to actually finish them off.

AutoTank wrote:Nocturnal because of at night, and haunt, not in the respect of ghosts and horror, but as stalking. A man, hung in the shadows, watching his targets movements. That is how I see Nocturnal Haunt.

Gotcha. Still, could toss in a ghost to meet what I think would be the more common expectation.

But how about a sniping game then? Easy enough to toss in story elements.
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Ermpf. I'd have to bow out, really. How hard would it be to twist Chris' arm up to AS3?

Not sure really, but most people will be using AS3 so...

"My thought with a platformer is it's easier to start out small and then expand with new levels."

Yeah but I still think platformers fail Razz.

"I'd worry with an RPG--I've been part of a number of collaborations that fell through due to complexity. Anything that's more than a month of work seems to lose momentum. ((then, I've never actually been part of a collaboration that _didn't_ fall through)). I do know my own projects need to be bite-sized to actually finish them off."

Yeah I get what you mean here. Most collabs I've seen have failed.

"Gotcha. Still, could toss in a ghost to meet what I think would be the more common expectation."

I guess ^_^.

"But how about a sniping game then? Easy enough to toss in story elements."

Sniping game? Something like siftheads? where you are sniper, picking out marks and stuff. If so, then I'd rather go with an assassin type thing, just because it could have an array of different stages on it, it would create more diversity and make the game more fun to play in my opinion.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:17 pm

AutoTank wrote:

Not sure really, but most people will be using AS3 so...

:)

Yeah I get what you mean here. Most collabs I've seen have failed.

I think one trick is to set the bar low enough. ;)

"But how about a sniping game then? Easy enough to toss in story elements."

Sniping game? Something like siftheads? where you are sniper, picking out marks and stuff. If so, then I'd rather go with an assassin type thing, just because it could have an array of different stages on it, it would create more diversity and make the game more fun to play in my opinion.

I don't know siftheads--but something pretty straight forward, where the cursor is the scope, essentially, and the marks are moving around inside buildings, around obstacles, etc.

(okay, just went and played the first siftheads 2 mission--yeah, something like that). Less minigames, though, maybe ;)

We do a straight-forward collab and that gives us better simpatico for doing something more complex :)
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:48 pm

Ok then Smile. We'll have to wait till chris comes online though. He went offline after posting this.

Anyway, we need a storyline now ^_^.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Silly him! :heh:

Storyline... I'm still on the ghost kick, I think. What about a ghost sniper taking revenge? You start out having to get the hang of just interacting with the world--like a poltergeist. Slowly track down your killers and take them out?

With the option to take out "innocents" as well--and doing that means paranormal investigators will come for you and make life more difficult (but give you a higher score because you have to take them out, too?)

Or ... you're haunting a particular building, and you have to snipe people when nobody else is looking, night after night. :heh: mini-game to destroy the bodies after you've killed a round.
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:59 pm

first option sounds much better to me. We need to develop that though, into a proper story outline, so we don't just go flying into making a game without anything to back up what we're doing.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Sure. Smile Need to build up character, context, etc. back-and-forth-and-forth-and-back. Smile

How about... an army sniper comes home from "the war". his wife's been cheating on him but couldn't bring herself to tell him in a letter. the guy she's been cheating on him with is in the mob (she doesn't know this?). He "takes care of the problem". She flips out and is now his slave.

Sort of a cross between Tommy and Double Dragon Wink and (generic ghost revenge story).
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:17 pm

kaolin wrote:
How about... an army sniper comes home from "the war". his wife's been cheating on him but couldn't bring herself to tell him in a letter. the guy she's been cheating on him with is in the mob (she doesn't know this?). He "takes care of the problem". She flips out and is now his slave.

I think you'll need to explain to me what you mean on the last line Rolling Eyes.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:20 pm

:heh: I had a bad feeling about that line.

Let's give them some names. Army sniper--Kevin. Wife--Ella. Mob dude--Al(fonzo).

Ella flips out that Al had Kevin killed--threatens to go to the cops/whatever. So Al locks her up in his mansion, under heavy guard, as his plaything.
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Ahhh ok, I get it now. Sounds good.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Who all else is active 'round these parts? Should I just keep spouting off once Chris chimes in, or wait for more folks before developing too much storyline? Smile
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 pm

This site is pretty much empty :S. Especially because no-one checks the forums.

Magical Zorse is basically the only other active member.

I'm trying to recruit some people from newgrounds. No replies yet though :S.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Good luck. Smile

On the other hand, less people means tighter group means harder to flake, maybe. Wink Smile
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vartagh on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:01 pm

hi to all !!!
I'm actually on holidays but if you need an hand and if you decide to make a game i prefer to give you help about the gameplay Wink
Vartagh
Artist

Number of posts : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:09 pm

Vartagh wrote:i prefer to give you help about the gameplay ;)

as in alpha testing?
kaolin
Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MagicalZorse on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:22 pm

I will nevar use as3
On a more related note, we should all make something about what nocturnal haunt really means to us, it could be anything.
MagicalZorse
Artist

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-10-26

View user profile http://magical-zorse.newgrounds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vartagh on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:17 am

kaolin wrote:
Vartagh wrote:i prefer to give you help about the gameplay Wink

as in alpha testing?

no as a game designer Very Happy
helping to put on chart all the ideas about the game and finding out a good product to make! Very Happy
Vartagh
Artist

Number of posts : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:35 am

OK I'm here!

I was bursting with responses after reading through this thread.
Psh, I was trying to sleep Jack Wink

OK!
I like your sniping / assassin idea, sounds pretty good. We could vary the stages between sniping and assassination, maybe, but I think the sniping levels should just be platformers where you click to shoot - it would make the game more interesting. Like, you could be walking up to a creepy house and someone falls out the window - it wouldn't be as limited as not being able to move like in most sniping games

About actionscript: I barely know any for 2.0 or 3.0 - I've tried learning 3.0 but I couldn't get how to change variables which weren't on the stage, so I gave up.
If you want to use 3.0 don't let me stop you, because I know little about either Wink I'll be happy to help if you tell me what to do tho.

oh and I always thought 'haunt' as a hideout, like NH was a place for people to come when the sun goes down.
That gave me the idea of the cheezy motto 'Where's YOUR NocturnalHaunt?' but moving on.

Great ideas here Smile
I'm happy to make music for it, and help out with coding and level design
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:39 am

BluMess wrote:OK I'm here!
I was bursting with responses after reading through this thread.
Psh, I was trying to sleep Jack Wink

psh, your not allowed to sleep Very Happy.

Then its settled then, we'll start making a game. Although, I would put it up on NG so we can get more people on both the site and the project.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:49 am

Oh no it's alright

I think the max. number of developers we should have is 10.
Oney is coming over from NG soon he says, but he's busy. Look him up on NG, he's a brilliant animator Smile

And wouldn't it be better if it was just us lot? Like, to get us known. Maybe at another time we could include other people :S
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:05 am

Yeah but, two of the developers don't actually do anything... Making the game would be me, you , kaolin, zorse and vartagh. So not really 10 is it.
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next