BluMess Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NH's FIRST COLLAB!

+2
AutoTank
BluMess
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NH's FIRST COLLAB! - Page 2 Empty Re: NH's FIRST COLLAB!

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:21 am

I talk to Veon a lot - He's good with graphics design. I'll ask him if he's ok to be involved, but flumaker is an artist person and she doesn't do much ... =/

Maybe we could ask Ixintro to make an intro movie, but I'm seeing your point.

I think we're in need for some animators, if you find anyone on NG who is good it would be appreciated Razz
People started flaming me because I kept advertising the site No

Last edited by BluMess on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.blumess.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vartagh Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 am

5 devs are a lot anyway Very Happy
Vartagh
Vartagh
Artist

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:27 am

So, we have:
-Kaolin (code/graphics)
-Vartagh (gameplay)
-MagicalZorse (code/animation)
-AutoTank (artist)
-BluMess (auido/level design)

Last edited by BluMess on Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:33 am

Put me under artist ^_^.
AutoTank
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:34 am

oookay!
I've contacted Ixintro, let's hope he's in Very Happy
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MagicalZorse Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:13 am

BluMess wrote:So, we have:
-Kaolin (code/graphics)
-Vartagh (gameplay)
-MagicalZorse (unsure)
-AutoTank (artist)
-BluMess (auido/level design)
I can code, and do some animating
MagicalZorse
MagicalZorse
Artist

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://magical-zorse.newgrounds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Vartagh wrote:5 devs are a lot anyway :D

Agreed.

The only way I'd get a "plays well with others" were if it were a badge on Kongregate. ;) Ok, not entirely, but definitely easier in a small group. :)
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Fair enough.

I'm a bit confused - so Ella will be the main character?
What about if she hires an assassin to kill Al and his mob? Maybe that would be more interesting
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 pm

BluMess wrote:
I like your sniping / assassin idea, sounds pretty good. We could vary the stages between sniping and assassination, maybe, but I think the sniping levels should just be platformers where you click to shoot - it would make the game more interesting. Like, you could be walking up to a creepy house and someone falls out the window - it wouldn't be as limited as not being able to move like in most sniping games

Hah, second vote for platformer!

Though I'm kind of skeptical a platformer could really get the feel of sniping unless we added some 3d stuffs, and I don't want to get into that with this.

But brainstorm some more. Umm. What sorts of things could we do that are more interesting than a traditional sniping game? Or how would a platformer make a good sniping and/or assassination game? :) (I like the simplicity of a sniping game where you're stuck in one spot, so that's my lean--but I'm open to being excited by something else :) )

About actionscript: I barely know any for 2.0 or 3.0 - I've tried learning 3.0 but I couldn't get how to change variables which weren't on the stage, so I gave up.

A good code structure should make that more obvious. I don't know what a good code structure is in AS3, but my _next_ attempt is going to be to make all the game vars static on a Main class... or at least modifiable with static functions on a Main class. That's kind of like using the stage, only more protected from interference by other things. :)
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 pm

BluMess wrote:Fair enough.

What about if she hires an assassin to kill Al and his mob? Maybe that would be more interesting

The dead army dude/ghost is the main character :)
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:36 pm

kaolin wrote:
BluMess wrote:Fair enough.

The dead army dude/ghost is the main character Smile

That clears it up.
Nice touch, relates to NocturnalHaunt Smile

and if I'm quite honest what you said before went right over my head.
If you don't mind I'll leave that to you D:

I just think we need to do something more interesting than pointing and clicking at stuff, and I always love a good adventure game Smile I'd be happy to make scenery for it.

Oooh storyline twist:

How about the ghost has to kill all the mob to get to Al and finally kill him. But when they find out there is a ghost with an aim to kill them, they all get some crazy anti-ghost weapons.
No?

Well, whatever you're comfortable with coding. That would be pretty complex =/
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Something a little like that.
Excuse the awesome quality of drawing.

NH's FIRST COLLAB! - Page 2 Untitl11

EDIT: Weird, the image is really faint in these forums.
Click the picture to see it Wink

http://www.mrsunstudios.com/2008/08/tutorial-create-a-platform-game-in-as3-part-7/ <-- great tutorial on making a platformer. We could even make a level editor, that could make it more popular
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:48 pm

re: your twist -- I was kind of thinking that, too:

With the option to take out "innocents" as well--and doing that means paranormal investigators will come for you and make life more difficult (but give you a higher score because you have to take them out, too?)

Or we could go really crazy sci-fi and start having _everyone_ come back as ghosts. So the more people you kill, the more enemies you have...

re: your picture... it's because you saved it as a png with transparency instead of with an actual white background. ;)

But okay, that could be plausible--so you can move forwards and backwards only? or are you thinking double-dragon side-view, so all directions but limited?

Though with that perspective it's less a sniping sort of thing and more a "rush in and kill", even if you do have to place your shots.
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Ah.
That would be why.

When you kill someone, we could have a neat little effect where their ghost just flies off into heaven - it doesn't have to be too complicated.

I mean like there are platforms, you can jump, probably only move forward, and even float for a short time. You can use these to get past obstacles and traps which have been set.

Also, the ghost could be able to scare things by accident - i.e. runs up to a guard and scares them, so they blow a *EDIT* whistle which summons more enemies.
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:56 pm

ooh--how about... through the game you have the option of becoming more or less corporeal, through the actions you take--and then that changes how you play through the levels.

The less you kill, say, the more ethereal you are--you can float more easily, pass through walls, that sort of thing. Take less damage, etc. But then you can do less damage, too... you're limited to energy attacks, gusts of wind to distract people, that sort of thing. large gust of wind to push someone off a roof to their death...

But when you work on controlling your form so you can pick up a knife or a gun, then that means you're more physical and it slowly becomes a more traditional game (with always the option to go back the other way, slowly--kind of like alignment in an rpg).
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:58 pm

That's a pretty good idea - kinda like good and evil in Fable

If we can include that, it would be awesome - but would you be able to script that without too much trouble?

Oh and back to the platformer tutorial - since it's all in arrays we could make a level editor, meaning we can release player packs and things like that
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:05 pm

I don't think it would be too much trouble--just build it into the physics, basically. Smile Where it might be more difficult is in designing the levels so that a ghost can't just walk all the way to the end and complete it without having to interact _somehow_. Maybe you can only walk through things when you're more "skilled", not because you're not ethereal but because of the psychological issue. Or maybe you take some small damage for walking through things--yeah, I like that. That's definitely a balance. Smile And maybe even some small damage for floating/flying. Hell, at that rate we could make switching back and forth between ethereal and physical just be an energy cost as well, and not worry about "percentage ethereal"--or maybe have like five levels that you can shift between--where you start out at the middle level and have to gain experience to be able to shift to more physical or more powerfully ethereal forms...
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Your mind is like a stream of ideas. Loving it Very Happy

I like the idea of switching between the different characteristics - what about you choose at the beginning of each level? The gradual build up is still a good idea tho

And I think the ghost should only be able to pass through certain substances, so we can hide hidden items and make it harder. And we could have energy costs like you said for floating and passing through walls

This is sounding good ^.^
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixintro Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Yeah, I don't know crap about any Action Script but I'll gladly develop visual elements if we decide to do a game collab. Smile

Ixintro

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:13 pm

yay you're here Smile
It doesn't matter if you don't know any aaction script, but what do you think of the idea so far?

Glad to hear you want to help Very Happy
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:15 pm

So could we do sort of platformer things through, say, a restaurant? Where the goal is to kill a number of mob enforcers at the back, quietly-ish, but it would also be possible to try to kill everyone in the restaurant if that's the direction the player wanted to go? (just really, really hard) And scaring people (accidentally?) would bring out more mob folks, or make the level harder in some other way? :) ((just as one scene/level sort of thing)).

And is AutoTank going to hurt us for talking about a platformer so much? ;)
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Ok, here is my attempt at a storyline.

Your name is Egar, Corporal in the generation army. You are part of the special sniper unit named AIM. You are off fighting in a war against a neighbouring nation. Your wife [I don't know what to call her] cheats on you with Al, the head of the Mob. The war ends in victory for the generation army and you come home. Not too long later, you are walking down the street when the mob attack you, killing you. You leave your body behind and you see yourself being beaten even more. Rage fills inside you and you find yourself in your army gear, with your trusty sniper rifle on hand.

Nobody can see you, and you listen in on your wife's conversations. You find out exactly what has happened and set out on your path of revenge.

Thats all I've got so far. As you said before about the ethereal forms, while in these forms your enemies can see you, and you take part in melee combat with them. I like the idea of the five levels thing.
AutoTank
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluMess Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:27 pm

oooh, that's an idea - you can either do the level in stealth, like an assassin, or do it in a mad style, killing innocents too. Was that what you were hinting at earlier, Kaolin?

Great storyline, Jack - very dramatic Very Happy
BluMess
BluMess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoTank Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:29 pm

I was playing a game on NG before, and it gave me an idea. This is building up on what I said in my last post about the ethereal forms. Make it sort of like a thing thing style shoot em' up at that point. Only, using your powers as a ghost, you wouldn't shoot bullets, but use some sort of powers to do with that.
AutoTank
AutoTank
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaolin Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:37 pm

I'd kind of rather Egar (Edgar?) didn't have as much a clue as to what was going on, to start. Storyline ~ piecing together clues from level to level.

So animation has you grabbed, beaten, killed--and you watch, a helpless, smoky form with a thin shining cord attaching you to the body--until they're gone and the cord snaps and you find yourself in your gear (but the gun doesn't work ;) or you have exceedingly limited ammo).

We should probably also work out some small tutorials at the first step for how you can interact with the environment so far...

And you have to maneuver through ye olde alley/downtown/whatnot until you catch up with the mob guys at the end of the level, kill them, and _find out_ that they're mob guys. Maybe they can't even hurt you at this point, but you have to be careful in using your powers so you don't kill yourself by overextending...

If we really get some serious level design going on, we could possibly make the paths through the game a little free-form (based on the clues you've gotten so far). You could from this point, for instance, go home OR track down one of the addresses that you got off the mob guys.

Or we can make the player go one "obvious" route (home to his wife, first, say).

At home: no sign of damage but signs your wife hasn't been there for a while and was expecting to come back soon (say... mold growing on some dirty dishes in the sink or something like that).

BluMess wrote:oooh, that's an idea - you can either do the level in stealth, like an assassin, or do it in a mad style, killing innocents too. Was that what you were hinting at earlier, Kaolin?

Yup! :) With the option of doing something in-between as well.

AutoTank wrote: This is building up on what I said in my last post about the ethereal forms. Make it sort of like a thing thing style shoot em' up at that point. Only, using your powers as a ghost, you wouldn't shoot bullets, but use some sort of powers to do with that.

Yeah, exactly that--"you're limited to energy attacks, gusts of wind to distract people, that sort of thing. large gust of wind to push someone off a roof to their death...". :)

So it's basically a shoot-em-up either way you go, but more of a Hit Man style where you don't have to kill everyone, but you can.
kaolin
kaolin
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum